We are raising $550,000 (stretch goal: $1,500,000) to make further progress on our mission: building a global community of researchers and professionals working to do the most good in terms of reducing suffering. These are our plans for 2021 in a nutshell (more details here):
- Our first focus area will be cooperation & conflict in the context of transformative AI (TAI). In addition to improving our prioritization within this area, we plan to build a field around bargaining in artificial learners using tools from game theory and multi-agent reinforcement learning (MARL) and to make initial publications on related governance aspects.
- Our second focus area will be malevolence. We plan to assess how important this area is relative to our other work and investigate how preferences to create suffering could arise in TAI systems.
- Research will remain CLR’s main activity in 2021. We will continue trying to grow our research team.
- We will increase our grantmaking efforts across our focus areas. We will start recommending grants to the Center for Emerging Risk Research (CERR), with which we started collaborating. They are a new foundation committed to using all of their funds (~$45,000,000) to support high-impact work to reduce s-risks.
- We will continue our routine community-building activities in 2021 (e.g., scouting at events, 1:1 calls). We plan to rerun our summer research fellowship program and test more efficient ways of getting people up to speed on our thinking, e.g., an s-risk intro seminar.
If you prioritize reducing risks of astronomical suffering, we believe there is a strong case to support our work. We are one of the few organizations with the same priorities and we have made significant progress with our work in recent years.
Donations to the Effective Altruism Foundation (EAF), which houses the Center on Long-Term Risk, are tax-deductible for donors in Germany, Switzerland, the US, the UK, and the Netherlands. Donors in the US and the UK can make tax-deductible donations to us via the Effective Altruism Funds platform.
|Mikko Rauhala||EUR 4995|
|Rai (Michael Pokorny)||CHF 60.78|
|Adam Hruby||USD 10|
|Victoria Gutierrez||USD 200|
|Connor Leahy||EUR 500|
|Anonymous||EUR 631||I pray that CLR not only receives the donation required, but gains ever-increasing public profile and awareness on the subject of impact of tech for future generations!|
|Jonas Hunsicker||EUR 50|
|Amy Spence||USD 100|
|Denis Drescher||CHF 100|
|Adam clayton||USD 75|
|Cliff and Stephanie Hyra||USD 20000|
|Adam Spence||USD 77.77||Chaos Theory is another potential area that CLTR should consider researching. A better understanding of chaotic systems is important for understanding how to change the course of history for the better, and a lot of suffering seems to be caused by unintended consequences of not necessarily malevolent actions.|
|Jan und Sara Rüegg||CHF 11474|