Work with us
Summer Research Fellowship
We are currently looking for participants in our annual Summer Research Fellowship.
We usually run hiring rounds for specific positions. There are currently no ongoing hiring rounds, but we would love to hear from you if you would be excited to contribute to our mission. In that case, simply fill out our general application form. We particularly encourage applications from women and minority candidates. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about working with us.
Why work at CLR
We aim to combine the best aspects of academic research (depth, scholarship, mentorship) with an altruistic mission to prevent negative future scenarios. So we leave out the less productive features of academia, such as precarious employment and publish-or-perish incentives, while adding a focus on impact and application.
As part of our team, you will enjoy:
- a role tailored to your qualifications and strengths with ample intellectual freedom;
- working towards a shared goal with dedicated and caring people;
- an interdisciplinary research environment, with friendly and intellectually curious colleagues who will hold you to high standards and support you in your intellectual development;
- mentorship in longtermist macrostrategy, especially from the perspective of preventing s-risks;
- the support of a well-funded and well-networked longtermist EA organization with substantial operational assistance instead of administrative burdens.
You will advance neglected research to reduce the most severe risks to our civilization in the long-term future. Depending on your specific project, your work will help inform our activities across any of the following paths to impact:
- Technical interventions: We aim to develop and communicate insights about the safe development of artificial intelligence to the relevant stakeholders (e.g., AI developers, key organizations in the longtermist effective altruism community).
- Grantmaking: In addition to the CLR Fund, some of our staff are advising the Center for Emerging Risk Research (CERR), a foundation committed to using all of their funds (over $100 million) to improve the quality of life of future generations.
- Governance interventions: We aim to develop and help implement appropriate governance structures for the safe development of artificial intelligence.
- New projects: In collaboration with people in our network, we are always looking for novel impactful organizations to set up. For instance, we have been involved in the founding of the Cooperative AI Foundation and Foundations of Cooperative AI Lab. Previously, we established Wild Animal Suffering Research, which later merged with Utility Farm to become the Wild Animal Initiative, a now independent organization.
Diversity and equal opportunity employment: CLR is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our organization. We welcome applications from all sections of society and don’t want to discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, social background/class, mental or physical health or disability, or any other basis for unreasonable discrimination, whether legally protected or not. If you're considering applying to a role and would like to discuss any personal needs that might require adjustments to our application process or workplace, please feel very free to contact us.
In addition to their salary, CLR offers the following benefits to all staff (including Summer Research Fellows):
- 25 days’ paid vacation per year, plus public holidays. (For temporary staff, this is reduced proportional to the length of your employment.)
- A budget of £4000 per year for to spend on your professional development and productivity. (For temporary staff and less senior non-research staff, this is reduced to £2000 per year.)
- Lunch available at the office every day
- Flexible working hours
- 20 weeks of paid leave for new parents, and consideration of childcare costs in setting salaries for permanent employees.
- Pension scheme for those employed >3 months, with a default employer contribution of 10% of your qualifying earnings, increasing to 15% to match additional contributions made by you
- Private health insurance for permanent UK-based employees. We will also cover the full costs of health and dental insurance for any permanent US-based employees.