Your generous donation helps us research cooperative and effective strategies to reduce involuntary suffering.
Your donation will go to our umbrella organization, the Effective Altruism Foundation (EAF) but will be used to support CLR's work exclusively. Donations to EAF are tax-deductible for donors in Germany, Switzerland, the USA (via bank transfer or through the EA Funds platform), the UK (through the EA Funds platform) and the Netherlands. Learn more here. You can find answers to frequently asked questions below. If the FAQ doesn't answer your question, please send us an email at email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
- You can make either one-off or regular monthly donations.
- We offer multiple payment methods but encourage donors to use direct debit by default since the fees are low and we can track payments with less effort. For larger donations (over 5,000.–) we recommend bank transfers.
- Registration: Choose the bank transfer option in the form. You will see the transfer instructions in the last step, which you will also receive via email.
- Transfer: Make the transfer using the reference code specified in the instructions.
- Confirmation: You will receive a confirmation email from us at the latest one week after we receive your payment.
Currently, we can offer tax-deductible donations in Germany, Switzerland, and the Netherlands. You can find our tax exemption documents here. Donors in the UK can support us through the EA Funds platform of the Centre for Effective Altruism (CEA). CEA receives your donation, claims Gift Aid on your behalf, and grants the donation plus Gift Aid to us. US donors can support us via GiveWell (bank transfer only, using the donation form on this website) or the EA Funds platform of CEA, and get a tax receipt from the respective organizations.
If applicable, you will receive a tax receipt by the organization on whose accounts you have donated. For the countries mentioned above, these organizations are:
- Germany: EAF
- Switzerland: EAF
- Netherlands: EAF
- United Kingdom: CEA (EA Funds)
- United States: CEA (EA Funds) and GiveWell
If you have questions about your tax receipt, you can contact the organization in question directly.
EAF sends a single receipt via email at the beginning of the year, which includes all your donations in the preceding year, as long as your donations totaled at least 100.– and were made to EAF directly. We can only issue receipts if all fields in the registration form—including the address field—were filled out. Donation receipts are issued in the name of the account holder from which the donation is made. If you don't get your receipt by February, contact us. Keep in mind that a donation is included in a given year if we receive the donation in that year, independently of when you make the transfer. Please keep this in mind for donations via bank transfer made in late December, since they could reach our accounts in January.
Payment processors charge a small fee that is deducted from your donation:
- Bank transfer: typically no fee, although your bank may charge for international transfers (recommended for large donations)
- Direct debit: 1%, capped at 2 euros (recommended)
- Credit card: 2-3%
- PayPal: 2.5% for CHF donations, 5.2% for other currencies
- Skrill: 3.3%
- Bitcoin: 1%
You can find detailed information about our activities and goals as well as our financial situation on our transparency site. CLR’s finances are checked annually by an independent auditor. CLR is also subject to the observation of the Confederate Foundation Advisory Body in Switzerland.
To change the amount of your monthly donation, please fill in the donation registration form again with your updated preferences. For donations via bank transfer, you can then adjust the standing order with the new reference number / purpose.
If you wish to change or cancel your monthly direct debit or credit card donation, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will cancel your donation and you can set up a new one on this website.